Saturday, March 30, 2013

First Visit To The Oceanarium

I went to the S.E.A. Aquarium today. It is supposed to be the largest oceanarium in Southeast Asia, or at least in Asia, but although I find the place pretty big, I am not quite sure if it qualifies as "largest". In any case, the trip to the oceanarium is really great! In comparison, the Underwater World which I also visited today is nothing.
 
The varieties of fish and marine life is amazing! I do not think I saw every variety of fish possible, but I managed to see the more common ones found in Asian waters, like rays, sharks, Tiger fish, clownfish, garoupa. After my Redang trip, I was able to identify some of the fish at least.
 
There is no way I can describe the trip from beginning to end, so I shall let the pictures do the talking. The main attraction is the gigantic floor to ceiling aquarium which can be found in the middle of the place. In there is some of the biggest fish ever found, at least in the aquarium itself!
 
Meanwhile, these are the marine life I came across in there. When you enter, you will be on a big underground tank in the form of a non-moving conveyor belt. So you not only see fish swimming next to you, you can see fish swimming above you too.

 Tiger fish next to me on the stationary conveyor belt
 
 Some coral reef
 

 Fish swimming above me
 


After coming out from the conveyor belt, you will step into a room full of marine life displays. There will be a little tank consisting of baby rays and catfish below you, which is transparent for people to see and step on to cross over.

 A fish that I viewed from the top
 

After that there are various displays of marine life.





 Seahorses
 


 Stingray display
 
 A large crab
 
 Nautilus
 
 A sleeping octopus
 
 Jellyfish
 
 More jellyfish
 

After exiting the marine life display, that is when you come across the gigantic aquarium, filled with sharks, big rays and big fish.

 Baby sharks
 
 A stingray swimming towards me
 

 A very big fish
 

Besides the gigantic aquarium, there is another smaller round aquarium with fish swimming round and round.




I also came across Dory and Nemo in one of the displays!



And a sea urchin.


Finally, it is back to the stationary conveyor belt with more varieties of fish, this time with big sharks and big stingrays before being led to the way out.

 Big sharks swimming next to me
 


 A diver maintaining the tank
 
 Hammerhead shark swimming above me
 



 
After my trip to the oceanarium, I went on to the Underwater World and Dolphin Lagoon, which I will write in my next post. The whole trip around the oceanarium is about two hours. Bear in mind though that this attraction is very popular, so be prepared to be in the queue for at least half an hour or thereabouts before you can enter. Hence it is better to go in the morning when there is not that many people yet.
 
The oceanarium opens at ten in the morning and closes around six or seven in the evening, and one has to enter from the side of the Maritime Experiential Museum. The oceanarium is part of the Resorts World in Sentosa island.
 
How to get there? Take the Sentosa Express from Vivo City, alight at the first stop (Waterfront Station), then walk straight until you see the sign "S.E.A Aquarium". Follow the line and queue. But I would recommend a trip there because the oceanarium is really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment