Monday, November 12, 2012

Courtyard At Heeren

I just came back from a short weekend in Malacca. After finding out about this hotel and Julie's experience with the place, I decided to book a stay at Courtyard @ Heeren Hotel. I was lucky to still get a room at such late notice, although the Deluxe room I wanted was all booked up, leaving only the Superior room. With that kind of price, some say I might as well have stayed in Equatorial or Hotel Puri.
 
Courtyard @ Heeren Hotel is a cosy boutique hotel in the heart of Jonker Walk, in the UNESCO-listed World Heritage part of historical Malacca. It is converted from an old Peranakan shophouse, and still has the Peranakan style and feel. One who knows me knows I am rather passionate about authentic Peranakan stuff, so this hotel seems just perfect for me!
 
The whole stretch of Jonker Walk is within walking distance, and The Stadthuys, St Paul's Hill and the shopping complexes of Dahlawan, Hatten Square and Mahkota Parade are all just within ten minutes' walk away. Hence, the location is very good. To top it off, the price I paid is a nett price with no hidden cost, and it includes a sumptuous breakfast everyday.
 
I reached Malacca almost midnight. As the bus dropped me at Equatorial Hotel, I had to make my way to Courtyard @ Heeren. However, because it was late at night, I decided to take a cab instead of walking. When I reached the hotel, I was surprised that the whole stretch looked like some red light district! The hotel is differentiated by its green signboard hanging above the shophouse, although it is a bit hard to see at night.
 
Being so late at night, the person manning the reception was taking a little rest. I had to call him on the phone even though I was able to see the reception counter from outside the main door. He opened the door for me and I checked in. Immediately, I smelt the scent of lemon grass, but I was so tired that I did not even manage to see the interior decoration of the place until the following morning!

 The lane where Courtyard @ Heeren Hotel is situated, viewed at night
 

The front of the hotel
 


The main door for entrance
 


This building is directly opposite the hotel

When I woke up the following morning, I took a look at my surroundings and was pleasantly surprised! The room has an authentic Peranakan-style bed, with curtains at the side. It would be more perfect if there are curtains on both sides though. The bathroom is through a sliding door, and the whole room has an authentic Peranakan feel. I really like the room!
 
 The bed in the Superior room
 
 This leads to the bathroom
 
 This is on the ceiling of the room
 
 This door leads to my room
 
 This is the window of my room
 
 More rooms inside
 
Old-style Peranakan houses in Malacca are famous for being long. Trust me, it is long indeed. I went to walk around the winding corridor leading to the back. One can probably take like ten minutes to walk from the back of the house to the front just to answer the door! But often than not, most people have no patience and would have left before anyone even answered the door!
 
There is a little courtyard outside my room that consists of old Peranakan-style furniture like cupboards, chairs and even a well!
 

 The cupboard at the courtyard outside my room
 
 The well at the courtyard outside my room
 
 The chairs at the courtyard outside my room
 

 There are even bonsai plants!
 
 The decoration in the main reception hall
 
 Staircase leading up to the second floor
 
 The main reception hall
 
 The reception counter from the main entrance
 
 One of the rooms on the second floor
 
 Light hanging from the ceiling of the second floor
 
 Another dressing table outside one of the rooms on the second floor
 
 Window of one of the rooms on the second floor
 
 View of the courtyard from the second floor
 
The main staircase (on the right hand side at the bottom of the staircase is an old-fashioned clock, iron and telephone, close-ups below)
 





 One half of the main door
 
 Other half of the main door
 



Daily breakfast is served at the building opposite, which also belongs to them, but run exclusively as a cafe and restaurant. Needless to say, the name is called Cafe @ Courtyard. Breakfast is a sumptuous buffet consisting of American and Asian styles. I had cereal, orange juice, tea, noodles and egg for the first day, and cereal, orange juice, tea, noodles, coconut rice set and toast for the second day.
 
The interior decoration for the cafe is also in an old-fashioned Peranakan style, with furnishings, a vitrola and a koi pond! The entire dining area stretches across a courtyard with flowing water and the koi pond. So we are actually dining in pretty lush surroundings!

 The cafe for meals opposite the hotel
 
The front window of the cafe
 
This plant is immediately inside the entrance to the cafe, with both sides leading to the dining area

 Furniture at the side of the corridor leading to the cafe
 

 The old-fashioned Vitrola
 
 Staircase going up to the second level
 
 The falling water into the koi pond
 
 The food and serving area
 
 I like this round staircase!
 




The koi pond
 
 Buffet spread
 

 My breakfast on the first day
 
 Breakfast on second day
 




My experience in this hotel is pretty good. The staff there gives personalised service, and even provides me a map recommending the places to go and eat. It is a cosy hotel with very nice interior decoration and good service, and great location. This is a hotel which I would highly recommend, and my friends who have stayed there recommend this place too!
 
However, if you like a more authentic Peranakan feel, I would recommend Hotel Puri just a few doors down, because that has more authentic Peranakan architecture and style at a lower rate. But breakfast may not be included though. Courtyard @ Heeren is all inclusive with no hidden costs, and the staff would even get transport for you when you leave! Hence it is really a great place to stay in Malacca!

No comments:

Post a Comment