Thursday, October 25, 2012

Throwing A Boomerang

My trip to the farm also let me have a hands-on experience with throwing a boomerang. According to the farmer, we need to be sure which tip of the boomerang to throw, otherwise the boomerang would not fly properly. And there is even a different position for right-handers and left-handers. Right-handers will throw the boomerang on one side, whereas left-handers will throw on the opposite side as that would be their "right" side.
 
After all the shows and books I have seen on throwing a boomerang, I was excited to try it out. Alas, it was not as easy as I thought. First, you must be able to toss it like you would a frisbee. It must fly out of your hand in a circular motion, and then fly around in a circle and back to the same position. If you did not throw hard enough, it would just fly a short distance before landing on the ground.

 The farmer giving a demonstration on boomerang throwing
 



 The boomerang was flying in a circle
 
 Me trying my hand at boomerang throwing
 

The farmer instructing me where to throw
 
As there were quite a number of people waiting to try their hand, I was only allowed two tries, and that was it. I failed both badly. My boomerang just made a swing and then landed on the ground shortly after. In fact, hardly anyone made a complete throw except the only left-hander in the group, whose boomerang went in a perfect circle and landed almost back where he threw!
 
It was a pity I did not get to throw it more, but it was a good enough experience. At least now I have tried throwing a boomerang in the outback!

No comments:

Post a Comment