Friday, October 26, 2012

Night At The Opera

When I knew I was going to Sydney, I knew I wanted to experience an opera at the Sydney Opera House. Afterall, how can one claims to have gone to Sydney if one did not experience the Opera House to a certain extent, instead of just touring inside?
 
So I went to the Opera House website to check out what was playing. There were only few dates I had in mind, and so far Madame Butterfly had the best timing, which was really great as it was one of my favourite operas of all time, not to mention I ever had a bit part in the opera itself!
 
After my one day exploration of Sydney, it was just time for me to go to the Opera House to attend the play. I was thirsty after walking around for the day, so decided to buy a drink before going into the opera theatre. However the drink there was expensive! It cost A$4.00 for a bottle of soft drinks. Later on, I realise there is free water available!
 
I had toured the Opera House before on previous occasions, but this was the first time I was actually in the Opera House attending a musical. So I went to examine all the knooks and crannies that make this building so famous. Apparently, the architect who designed this place actually broke down everything in detail, including the number of wooden panels that the interior needs!
 
When I entered the Opera House, it was still day time, going towards dusk. During the interval of the opera, it was night, with the lights shining from the Harbour and the Central Business District. Hence the views are really different in day and night!

 Opera House by day
 
 Lobby of the Opera House
 
 The restaurant in the Opera House
 
 Close up view of the roof tops
 

 Close-up view of the interior
 










 The Harbour Bridge is directly across from the Opera House
 
View of the Central Business District from the Opera House
 
 Night view of the roof
 

 Night view of the Opera House
 

 Night View of the Harbour Bridge from the Opera House
 
Night view of the Central Business District from the Opera House
 
Since I was already in the Opera House, I took the opportunity to take the interior too, until the usher told me that photography was forbidden.
 


 The stage with the curtain covering
 
Orchestra pit
 
Conclusion of the show? The Sydney Opera House is much better than the Esplanade in terms of sound, lighting and effects. However, this rendition of Madame Butterfly, even though it is a good effort by the Opera Australia, pales in comparison to the one that was shown in the Esplanade.
 
I am not being biased simply because I had a bit part in it. This version of Madame Butterfly has lesser actors, lesser stage props, not as fanciful sequences, and well.. to dress a Caucasian lady in her thirties (I think) into a Japanese teenage girl is simply, well.. not that realistic. But the main male character is definitely much better looking than the local version at the Esplanade.
 
Still, it is a good opera with good singing, good acting and great sound and orchestration. It is really an experience not to be missed, and I am so glad I manage to squeeze in an opera at the Opera House in my trip to Sydney!



No comments:

Post a Comment