Sunday, October 28, 2012

House Of Wax

I have always wanted to go to Madame Tussaud's. Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to go there when I was in the United Kingdom a few years back, as we were only stopping over in London, hence did not get the chance to go places. Then my parents and brother made a trip to New York and they visited Madame Tussaud's in New York, but I just started my new job then and could not go along.
 
So when I found out that there is a Madame Tussaud's newly opened in Sydney, I knew I wanted to go there. Madame Tussaud's Sydney is at the same stretch of Darling Harbour next to the Sydney Aquarium and the Sydney Wildlife Centre. Plus if you buy a combination ticket, it is much cheaper than buying individual tickets. Hence I bought a two-in-one ticket for Madame Tussaud's and Sydney Aquarium.
 
Before I went to Madame Tussaud's Sydney, I checked out the figurines on display, and was excited about a few. When I went in there, the wax figures really looked like the real people! This Madame Tussaud's is categorised into a few sections - Entertainment, History, World Leaders, Sports Personalities, Medical and Science. Obviously most of the wax figures are prominent people of Australia. My favourite is the Entertainment section as quite a number of my favourite stars are included!
 
All in all, I was not disappointed. My first Madame Tussaud's experience is nice! My only gripe is that this one is a bit small. I could go in, see all the figurines in all the sections and out of the place in one hour maximum! I believe the one in London and New York is much bigger.
 
In any case, these are the figurines I came across :
 
1. First Section - Historical Great

 This was an Aboriginal who fought for the rights of the Aborigines. Did not catch the name as it was too long to remember!
 
 Captain Cook himself!
 

 Ned Kelly, a famous Australian outlaw
 
 Aviator Kingsford Smith, for whom Sydney Airport is named
 
 Sister Mary MacKillop, who was conferred St Mary of the Cross, for whom St Mary's Cathedral is named
 
Not sure who this guy was but he was rather prominent in old Australian politics
 
2. Second Section - World Leaders
 
I am sure everyone can recognise these people, so there is no need for an introduction.
 






 
 
 
3. Third Section - Sports Stars
 
Most of these are local Australian sports personalities who are unknown to me, since I do not normally watch sports shows. I can only recognise two, incidentally the two best looking ones! :-P
 


 First good-looker - Mark Webber
 





Second good-looker - Ian Thorpe

4. Fourth Section - Music / Pop Stars

This section consists of famous singers, many of them Australians but there are some famous ones that are not.


 Recognise her? Olivia Newton-John in her Grease attire!
 
 Rihanna
 

 Kylie Minogue
 

 The famous King of Pop himself!
 


After this section, there is an entire room honouring Madame Tussaud herself, and the process of making the wax figures. Examples shown is how to make the bust of Beyonce Knowles and Will Smith.

 Madame Tussaud herself
 
 Making of a wax figure
 
 Recognise the face of Beyonce Knowles?
 
And that of Will Smith?
 
5. Fifth Section - Cultural Personalities
 
These were the people who had contributed someway to the culture of arts, science and heritage.
 
 An Aboriginal who wrote and promoted Aborigine culture
 
 Banjo Paterson, writer and poet who wrote about the Australian outback
 
 Henry Lawson, colonial writer and poet
 
 Albert Einstein (duh!)
 
 Dr Victor Chang, leading Australian heart surgeon
 
 
6. Sixth Section - TV Personalities
 
Besides Oprah Winfrey, I am not familiar with the rest as they are mostly the stars and hosts of local Australian shows.
 








 
7. Seventh Section - Film Stars
 
Included are some notable Australian film stars, or those who originated from Australia, like my favourite Hugh Jackman and the late Heath Ledger. There is also a Bollywood section.
 
 One of my favourite actresses from one of my favourite movies
 

 Alfred Hitchcock and his horror films
 

 Recognise her? Toni Collette
 
 Recognise him? He was Incredible Hulk, the Trojan prince, King Henry VIII and the Time Traveller all in one
 
 No introduction to him!
 
 One of the few Bollywood stars
 


 Recognise him? Amitabh Bachchan
 
 E.T., phone home
 
 Iron Man
 
 Mel Gibson, in one of his earlier shows in his younger days
 
 My favourite Wolverine!
 
 Crocodile Dundee himself
 
The late Heath Ledger
 
I am surprised why the next one is included. Technically she is not really a film star, but I guess she was included as one of the more famous Australians around.
 

 Elle MacPherson
 
8. Finally the last section - A-List Party!
 

 Romeo aka Jack Dawson aka J. Edgar Hoover aka Jay Gatsby
 
 Nicole Kidman. I have always loved her regal style!
 
 Mr Die Hard himself
 
 Captain Jack Sparrow aka Willy Wonka
 

 The most famous couple in the world
 
 "Queen Elizabeth I" herself
 

 The most famous vampire around
 
Lady Gaga




No comments:

Post a Comment