Saturday, October 27, 2012

Cruising Around Sydney

When I was planning for Sydney, I wanted a cruise around the harbour to be included. Initially, I thought of having a lunch cruise, but that is a tad expensive. So I settled on a whale cruise, as I can get to cruise and see the whale at the same time.
 
Unfortunately, it was a disappointment. There were whales, but they were so far away that I could only see water spouting out from their blow holes from a distance, with a bit of the arch back. I did not even see the full body or the tail! Besides, there were only three or four whales that I came across. I saw more dolphins close up though, but they were swimming so fast that I could not even snap a decent picture of them.
 
Still it was a great cruise around the harbour. I managed to get up, close and personal with the sights and landmarks of Sydney, like the Rocks and the buildings on the Rocks, Harbour Bridge, Opera House, houses of the eastern suburbs, and the outlying islands that surround the Sydney Harbour.

 Captain Cook of Captain Cook Cruises, where I had the whale cruise
 
 Museum of Contemporary Art on The Rocks
 
 Harbour Bridge from Sydney Harbour
 

 Circular Quay Station (facing the Sydney Harbour)
 
 Opera House from Sydney Harbour
 
 Sydney Central Business District from the Sydney Harbour
 

 The Toaster on Circular Quay
 
 Sailing past the Opera House
 

 View of beachfront housing on the eastern suburbs
 
 Sailing past Fort Denison



 One of the outlying islands of the Sydney Harbour
 




In this trip, besides this whale cruise, I had another cruise when I boarded the ferry to Manly, and yet another one when I took the ferry from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour, where I could go under the Harbour Bridge and on to Luna Park and McMahon's Point at the same time before stopping at Darling Harbour.
 
 Sailing under the Harbour Bridge
 
 Luna Park at Milsons Point, a great playground for children
 




 McMahons Point
 
 This building at McMahons Point probably has the best view by far. Residents in there has a complete unobstructed view of the Sydney Harbour, Harbour Bridge, Luna Park and Opera House, day and night. How I wish I live there too!
 


 Balmain Wharf
 

 
So I would say it was a good idea cruising around the Sydney Harbour. Besides the whale cruise which I had to pay in advance, the other ferries is included in the weekly pass, so I could essentially get around for free!
 
Having a harbour cruise is probably the best way to enjoy the sights of Sydney seen from the water. It lets one has another view that is not seen from land. Besides a play at the Opera House, no trip to Sydney is complete without going for at least one of the many varieties of harbour cruises available!

1 comment:

  1. Sydney harbour is one of the best place for enjoyment I have ever visited. I had a great cruise experience along with my friends.
    http://www.sydneybysail.com.au/ | www.sydneybysail.com.au | Sydney by Sail | Sydneybysail.com.au

    ReplyDelete