Thursday, October 25, 2012

Being In "Lilliput" ...

When I was researching on my Canberra trip, I came across a recommended place called Cockington Green Gardens, which is a miniature old English model village. I thought it would be pretty, so intended to go there, but when I found that it was not in Canberra city itself but along the outskirts, I gave up the idea.
 
However, when I found out that the place is near to the farm I was going to visit, I thought why not? Might as well go there after the farm visit. So I hitched a ride on the chartered bus for the tour group (and the bus driver was really very kind to let me hitch hike and drop me off where I requested) and went to the gardens.
 
The gardens itself is really pretty. Besides those old-fashioned model village houses, there is even an international display of famous landmarks of the various countries, as well as a toy train ride around the place. Because the houses are all so small, for the first time in my life, I felt like a giant. Now I know how Gulliver felt when he entered Lilliput and met the Lilliputans (or is it the other way?)!
 
Besides the main gardens, there is also a Rose Room displaying dolls, dollhouses and miniature cars, as well as a tea room that serves delicious English tea and homemade scones. Even the entrance and Visitor Centre is pretty, as it is in the style of a Tudor-era cottage. Perfect dream place for me actually!
 
When I went in, it was not as what I expected. The whole place is pretty small. Alright, it is not that small, but still, not as big as I envisioned. And it is more a children's playground than anything else. I could go around the whole place, plus the steam train ride, plus the indoor exhibition area, plus the gift shop and cafe, in an hour and a half maximum. So one can imagine just how small the place is. What I like though is the international display.
 
Still, it is a rather pretty place, with nice model villages and great varieties of flowers in the garden. If this is a real English village, it will be even prettier! Bear in mind though that this is a paying attraction around half an hour's drive from Canberra city, so unless you have kids that want something different and that you cannot do without seeing flowers and quaint model houses, then I would suggest just spending time in the city area will do. Otherwise one will be paying for something that is not really that impressive, but a good place for kids to roam and wander.


That is the entrance to the Visitor Centre, flanked by a beautiful garden
 


 The gardens around the entrance
 




 The back of the entrance of the Visitors Centre
 



 Miniature display of dwarves and fairy tale characters
 
 Miniature display of the entrance
 



 I really like this! The old-fashioned thatched roof English cottage
 











 
 Miniature train station

 Miniature train
 









 Miniature stonehenge
 
 Miniature garden maze
 


 Miniature windmill
 
 Even a miniature dinosaur!
 
Where the miniature dinosaur was displayed, it was the entrance to the international display of the various famous landmarks around the world. Can anyone recognise any of these?
 



































 The steam train ride
 

 The exterior of the Rose Room
 


 The golliwog display inside the Rose Room
 
 One of the dollhouses inside the Rose Room
 

 Display of miniature cars
 

No comments:

Post a Comment